2021 didn’t really start out how we all wanted it to due to the pandemic and lockdown restrictions but we can still plan and make this year a good year for business. I (Jen) wanted to give you my 5 top tips for creating your own marketing strategy for 2021.
Strategy and planning is pretty much the same thing in my book, but a strategy is more focused on setting and achieving set goals and objectives and a plan is just the steps you take in order to reach these goals.
Here goes, the top 5 tips for creating your 2021 marketing strategy:
The first thing you must do before creating your strategy is to understand what you want to achieve this year. What goals do you have for your business? For example:
- Increase traffic to your website.
- Employ a new staff member.
- Reduce overheads by 25%.
It is important to be quite specific about what you want to achieve as this will allow you to be clear on the objectives that it will take to achieve them.
You need to understand what resources you have available to be able to implement the strategy and plan. Things you should think about are:
- Who will be responsible to take on the plan and get it done.
- Can you do everything in house? Or do you need to hire a consultant?
It is important to know how you are going to manage implementing the strategy for it to be a success.
You will need to understand who your target market and customer profile is. You need to understand this to be able to talk to them and target them in a way that is going to engage them. If you don’t know this then you are going to find it very difficult to create the appropriate content and know where to advertise or promote. A few things to think about are:
- Define your customer profile – a specific person, sex, age, likes, dislikes etc.
- What customer segment do they belong to – Mums/parents or people who like to keep fit etc.
- Where are they? How are you going to target them? E.g. Online (website, social media, adverts), face-to-face (not so much now), high street, etc.
- What message do you want them to receive? Think about it from their point of view, not what you want to sell, but how it benefits them.
Understanding who your customer is and where they are is crucial to be able to implement most of your marketing strategy.
To create your plan/strategy you should take the main goal, or one of your goals, and break that down into smaller objectives. For example:
If your goal is to increase your traffic to your website, then you need to break this down into various objectives like:
- Review the website – SEO, blog page, content.
- Where will you drive traffic from – social media platforms, traditional marketing (QR code), advertising campaigns.
- What are you offering the customer (messaging as above).
From these objectives you can create specific actions. For example:
‘Review the website’ objective can be broken down into the following actions:
- Look at Google analytics, website enquiries, website actions etc.
- Hire a consultant to review the website to gain an outside perspective.
- Review content on the website – amend to suit your customer profile.
Each objective can be broken down into as many actions as required for you to be able to achieve it.
Monitor and review! If your strategy is for a month, 6 months or the full year. Make sure that you are reviewing each goal on a regular basis to make sure it is going in the right direction.
If it isn’t then what do you need to do?
- Change the messaging?
- Change the images?
- Change the process?
That is my top 5 tips for creating your marketing strategy for this year, we have a marketing plan template for you to download on our home page here or we are now offering 21% off for any marketing plan booked in January (not long left!).
As usual, any questions then please get in touch as we are happy to help. We wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous 2021.