The wonderful world of digital marketing, we all know about it and we all know we should be doing it but why are so many of us not doing it?  Most of the time my clients just don’t know where to start and as I always say, “the best way to start is with a plan”.

This blog will give you information on the main elements you should think about if you are creating your first digital marketing plan for your business.

Getting Started

The things you need to think about and compile before you begin your digital marketing plan are:

  • What stage are you currently at? Do you do any digital marketing currently? If so, how successful is it? Isn’t it successful? Do you  know why?
  • If you are going to take on new digital marketing efforts, who is going to do it? You? A new staff member? Or delegate to current staff  members?
  • Do a SWOT analysis

By looking at where you are now and what resources you have in place to take the digital marketing forward will give you a good base to start from.

Digital Marketing SWOT Analysis

The SWOT analysis (internal Strengths, internal weaknesses, external opportunities and external threats) should be based on the digital marketing aspects of the internal and external business environment.  For example:

  • Internal weaknesses could be that current staff members don’t have the time to post on social media.
  • An external opportunity would be to use a social media management system to save time and schedule social media posts in advance.

Information Gathering

The next step is to gather information on your competitors digital marketing presence, and the content that is getting the most interaction and engagement.  Think about your USP (Unique Selling Point) and what it is that makes you different from your competitors.  Why should the customer buy from you and not them?

It is important at this stage, if you have the tools and data available, to gather information on:

  • Social media and website analytics.
  • Keywords and phrases.
  • Industry trends and hashtags.

Defining Your Audience

This is the most important part of your plan, to understand who your customers are and where to target them.  You could use data that you have already (email lists, followers/likers or current customer details) in your business to understand who your target market is. For example:

  • “80% of my customers are female and the remaining 20% were males buying for a female”.
  • “The product/service is aimed at women over the age of 45 due to the features”.
  • “We can only deliver to addresses in Scotland”

These facts from your current data show that your target market are females over the age of 45 who live in Scotland.

Once you have identified your target market, you then need to understand their behaviour in the digital world.  A good place to start is looking at the statistics available for the various digital platforms, click here for a place to start.

Goals & Objectives

Once you have completed your research and defined your audience and their behaviour, you are now able to set your goals and objectives. These should be completely relevant to your business. Here are some examples:

  • Increase website traffic by 20% in a 6-month period.
  • Have 10 clicks per month on the “Action Button” on the Facebook page.
  • Gain 15 more sales per month via the Facebook page & website.

Once you have set your goals, you can establish what your objectives would be to achieve those goals.

Digital Tools

There are so many useful tools out there to help make your digital marketing experience easier and better. Just ask Creation Social Media as they are always up to date with all the latest news.

Action Plan  

Once you have all the above in place you can create your action plan. The action plan should have details of; what actions need completed, who is going to do what, when they are going to do it and what tools they are going to use.

You can create a monthly plan, a quarterly plan, a 6-month plan or a full year plan.  Whatever suits your circumstances.


This is a crucial part of digital marketing. You need to monitor and measure your digital marketing efforts to know what is working and more importantly what is NOT working. The amazing thing (if you like that kind of thing, which I do!) about digital marketing platforms is that they have a wealth of analytics available to view at any time. This information can be sliced and diced so you can really see what effect your content is having.


That’s it, in a nut shell, that is how you create a digital marketing plan.  There are obviously more elements to it than that but this should give you a good foundation to start from, if you want to do this yourself.

If you would rather outsource this service then get in touch with us and we can assist with the creation of your own digital marketing plan.

Happy to take any questions below or get in touch via the contact us page to arrange a meeting.